Geographically located slightly northwest of downtown Pittsburgh at the confluence of the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela River, the North Shore offers many forms of recreation, dining, and entertainment with some of the most scenic views of the Pittsburgh Skyline. It is home to two professional sports teams in the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates. Looking for live music/concerts, it is also home to Stage AE which has a seating capacity of nearly 5,500. Take a walk on the majestic Riverwalk with friends, family, or a significant other and you can literally feel the stress of everyday life melt away. The North Shore also offers many dining options. One of these, which is also dog friendly, is Southern Tier Brewery. Let us explore why Pittsburghers love this venue.
The ambience – Southern Tier Brewery has an ambience that is second to none. You are presented three options, you can eat/drink inside, under covered patio, or completely outside. The outside area is lit with Edison bulbs and has artificial turf so that it gives you the feeling of being out in nature without the messiness of wet grass or dirt. There is a lot of ample bar seating as well. For being located near downtown, Southern Tier brewery gives you ample space, so you do not feel crowded or overstimulated.
The food – One of the unique features about the menu is that every item is a hand-crafted collaboration utilizing brews that are made in-house. The menu is simple and easy to read but also gives you enough variety to order something that sparks your interest.
Appetizers – Start out with an appetizer to share. The smoked wings feature a house-made 2X IPA barbecue sauce. The base consists of fresh, never frozen chicken. They are smoked to perfection giving you that classic smokehouse flavor while also providing you with delicious, crispy skin. Pair it with a side of blue cheese or ranch and you have yourself a great start to a meal. Other appetizers include the house-made pretzel, pulled pork nachos, and loaded fries.
Handhelds/sandwiches – Who does not love a good Philly Cheesesteak? The Philly features thinly sliced steak, sauteed onions, and is finished with an IPA cheese sauce. The North Shore Club Sandwich (captioned) features smoked turkey, bacon, tomato, mixed greens, avocado aioli, on sourdough bread. If you are looking to venture a little more adventurous try the Big Ol’ Pastrami Sandwich which has gruyere, house-made sour kraut, thousand island dressing, on rye bread.
Other menu items – Southern Tier also has salads such as the Smoked Chicken Cobb Salad and Shrimp & Kale Salad. Entrees include fish and chips, tacos, pierogis, and a smoked chicken burrito. For a simple menu, you still get a good variety of culinary options.
The beer – Southern Tier typically features around 30 beer selections that are available on tap. They also have a great selection of wines and spirits/cocktails. Popular draft selections include Southern Tier, Victory, and Six point to name a few. Whether you are looking for something light with an Alcohol by Volume (ABV) in the range of 5% or something strong in the ABV range of 10-16%, Southern Tier has it in stock.
Southern Tier Brewery Final Take:
NORTH SHORE BREWERY PROVIDES INCREDIBLE AMBIENCE, DELICIOUS FOOD, and an EXTENSIVE CRAFT BEER SELECTION
My final take – If you are headed to the North Shore, you expect to indulge in the finer things in life. When looking for somewhere to eat and drink, you want a well-rounded experience. Southern Tier Brewery will deliver on these variables. It gives you the ability to enjoy your favorite beer or cocktail with friends and family, eat delicious food, and in the summer months, soak up beautiful weather in the steel city. Who is ready for happy hour?
- Taste and Flavor –
(1) Bland, no taste at all, under/overcooked/dry
(2) Edible, but below average, little to no spices, herbs, or seasonings, somewhat under/overcooked/dry
(3) Decent quality, spices/herbs/seasoning used. Not going to rave about the food but also not going to complain.
(4) Restaurant/dish lives up to reputation. Flavorful, it is clear spices/herbs, seasonings are used effectively. Dishes clearly thought out and well executed. What you would expect for your hard-earned dollar.
(5) Exceeds expectations. Not only are spices/herbs, and seasonings used to perfection, at this level, highest quality ingredients/meats used. Processes such as aging, brining, and marinating are used at this level. Food is cooked to perfection at this level and meat is unbelievably tender and juicy. You tell all your friends and family immediately about your food experience.
- Portion Size – How much food do you get, is there left-overs? 5s need to wow me.
- Affordability – Average cost of entrees and appetizers
- Ambience – The mood or feeling of the restaurant. Decorations, history, memorabilia, etc. Is it an atmosphere you could spend hours at?
To check out more amazing restaurants in the Pittsburgh area, read my first book, The Hidden Restaurant Gems of Pittsburgh: An Insider’s Guide.