As the frozen winter tundra begins to thaw and give way to the new birth of spring, one begins to experience a plethora of new options and opportunities. Going to the park, taking walks, and outdoor activities become more enjoyable. Outdoor get-togethers, parties, and celebrations now become doable. The grills start to fire up and the smell of barbecue permeates through the air. One of these novelty items that become available are Ice Cream shops where you can order and enjoy ice cream outdoors. One of these establishments that has been dear to Beaver County residents since 1947 is Hank’s Frozen Custard. It is here where they serve delicious frozen custard and Mexican food. Let us explore!
The custard – You may ask what is the difference between frozen custard vs ice cream? First, ice cream uses milk and cream as the main ingredients. Frozen custard uses these ingredients but also adds eggs. The other fundamental difference is a substantial amount of air is pumped into ice cream where there is little to no air pumped into frozen custard. What you are left with is a product that is much denser than ice cream and has great consistency. Finally, with ice cream and frozen custard, the main ingredient that is responsible for providing most of the flavor is butterfat, the higher the butterfat, the better the taste. Hank’s uses a generous amount of butterfat in their custard mixture which provides immense flavor.
Custard options – Hank’s offers flavors such as cookie dough, cookies and cream, whitehouse rocky road, turtle, death by chocolate, chocolate peanut butter cup, toasted almond fudge, strawberry cheesecake, raspberry cheesecake, and butter pecan. They also have additional rotating flavors as well. You can get frozen custard in cones, flurries, sundaes, milkshakes, and novelty items. You can also order it by the tub if you would like.
Tacos – It may seem random; however, Hank’s is known for delicious and super affordable tacos. The taco shells are made in-house and are not store-bought. This creates a great base for the taco. The taco meat is juicy and seasoned generously with spices. The toppings are basic which include lettuce, cheese, and hot sauce which you can get in mild, hot, or el scorcho. When people order a taco, they want something bold and memorable. Hank’s tacos deliver when it comes to this aspect and they are very reasonably priced. They are available in beef or chicken.
Other menu items – Hank’s has an extensive Mexican menu. You can get burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and nachos. They also have your traditional American foods such as salads, sandwiches, burgers, and appetizers. Some of their best sellers besides tacos are simply meat and fries. You get a generous portion of French fries with your choice of steak, chicken, shrimp, or gyro meat. Hank’s sells an unbelievable number of fries in general; they go great as a side as well!
Hank’s Frozen Custard & Mexican Food Final Take:
EVERYONE in BEAVER COUNTY KNOWS, YOU GOT TO GO TO HANK’S!
My final take – Anyone from or around the Beaver County area knows that Hank’s Frozen Custard has been a staple in the community for generations. They are unique in that they serve frozen custard as opposed to ice cream. It is known for date nights, family get-togethers, and driving your favorite classic automobile to grab dinner and dessert while enjoying a beautiful summer night. Hank’s success is no secret, quality custard and food, hard-working employees, affordable prices, and great service. When the weather breaks everybody knows you got to go to Hank’s!
- Taste and Flavor –
(1) Bland, no taste at all, under/overcooked/dry
(2) Edible, but below average, little to no spices, herbs, or seasonings, somewhat under/overcooked/dry
(3) Decent quality, spices/herbs/seasoning used. Not going to rave about the food but also not going to complain.
(4) Restaurant/dish lives up to reputation. Flavorful, it is clear spices/herbs, seasonings are used effectively. Dishes clearly thought out and well executed. What you would expect for your hard-earned dollar.
(5) Exceeds expectations. Not only are spices/herbs, and seasonings used to perfection, at this level, highest quality ingredients/meats used. Processes such as aging, brining, and marinating are used at this level. Food is cooked to perfection at this level and meat is unbelievably tender and juicy. You tell all your friends and family immediately about your food experience.
- Portion Size – How much food do you get, is there left-overs? 5s need to wow me.
- Affordability – Average cost of entrees and appetizers
- Ambience – The mood or feeling of the restaurant. Decorations, history, memorabilia, etc. Is it an atmosphere you could spend hours at?
To check out more amazing restaurants in the Pittsburgh area, read my first book, The Hidden Restaurant Gems of Pittsburgh: An Insider’s Guide.